Thursday, January 15, 2009

Could You Repeat That?

Yesterday was an ordinary Wednesday. I went to work. Alvin went to school. Around 8:00 pm we were settling into our nightly routine; me playing on my blog and Alvin surfing KSL. He has just posted his laptop on KSL so when his phone rang I thought nothing of it, thinking it was someone interested in his ad. Then I heard, “You’re kidding me!.....This is Washington University in St. Louis accepting me?!”
In deed it was. Susan Deusinger, the Director of Physical Therapy at WUSTL called Alvin to inform him he is accepted into their Doctorate of Physical Therapy Program. This is like getting accepted into the Harvard of Physical Therapy schools. Washington University in St. Louis is ranked #2 in the nation. (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/pht/search)
We are stunned to say the least. In fact, we thought it might have been a prank call. We even Googled the number to make sure it was for real...lol. When we sent the application we felt it was a shot in the dark! After making phone calls to our family with the awesome news the reality of this set in. We haven’t made a definite decision as of yet. Alvin is still going to interview with the University of Utah next week but he is going to forego interviewing at Regis and Creighton. My stomach is in knots with worry. There are so many factors to consider in this hefty decision. One of the largest factors being cost of tuition; three years at the U will cost approximately $45,000, three years at WUSTL will cost approximately $105,000. We’ve begun the stressful road of finding out if going to a top 5 school will make a difference. This is all of course, if Alvin gets into the U as well. If that doesn’t happen our decision has been made for us. All in all I’m extremely proud of my sweetheart for this accomplishment!

4 comments:

tamrandfamily said...

Wow!!! That is soo neat! Congrats Alvin!! We would HATE to see you leave but the opportunity is...WOW!! I look forward to hearing your decision! It was good to see you today~I miss ya :)

The Crandall Family said...

Congratulations you guys!! Hope everything will work out to your liking! We are happy for you!

Jodi said...

Congrats! That is awesome news!

Jen said...

Yeah for Alvin and Nat! So proud of you guys and very excited for you!