Monday, October 26, 2009

Content with the Things Allotted unto Us


It's been a rough week of recognizing reality and coming to grips with it. There's certainly a difference between "being humble" and "being humbled". Maybe I blog about it because I am still trying to convince myself as well. This evening I found a beautiful talk from Elder Neal A Maxwell. I won't post the whole thing but if you'd like to read it here's a link:


Neal A. Maxwell, “Content with the Things Allotted unto Us,” Ensign, May 2000, 72


I do have to post a particular favorite snip-it though:

"Performance is what matters, not the size of the stage. The Sea of Galilee, only 13 miles by 7, was nevertheless large enough to provide the disciples with a vital experience involving faith and walking on the water (see Matt. 14:22–33). The wind was boisterous and frightening! Even so, compare the size of those Galilean swells and the length of that storm with what Nephi and party had to endure on the vast ocean! (see 1 Ne. 18:13–21). Yet both episodes provided the needed learning experiences. Of course, I should be careful about comparisons involving excesses of water, realizing Noah is in the historical audience!"


This might help you just as much as it did me. - Loves


2 comments:

Melissa said...

thank you, i needed that tonight. its been a long couple of months. not just weeks!

Jen said...

I'm in agreement with Lissa. It's been a long road for me these last couple of years but the sun is shining now on me and so is the Lord.