Thursday, October 7, 2010

2nd Date With My Dentist


I have the worst luck with dental work.

I've been dealing with increasing wisdom teeth pain. Saw the dentist and got an appointment for October 21st. I woke up Wednesday morning and knew there was no way I could wait 2 more weeks. My normal dentist was no where to be found. (What kind of dentist is closed on a Wednesday?)

After making a few calls we found a dentist that could get me in that afternoon. Here's the hitch, getting your wisdom teeth out by a general dentist instead of a oral surgeon is well cheaper but THE WORST IDEA EVER.

1. You aren't put out.
2. They claim pain medicine, laughing gas, and Novocain will do the trick but they lie.
3. You can hear everything. Crunch after horrible crunch and ridiculous football small talk.
4. An oral surgeon is more likely not to invite you back the next morning.

To begin with the hygienist took me back to take x-rays. For some reason she was making the biggest deal about covering my tummy with the lead apron. The 1st x-ray didn't turn out so for a 2nd time she fussed about the lead apron over my tummy. Meeting the dentist for the first time he says to me, "So they tell me you're pregnant..." (Huh, what?!)

Moving on, they cleared up the pregnancy fallacy, had me take the pain medication, and get started on the laughing gas. I think I sat there for almost an hour in la la land before they even started on the procedure. By then I think the pain medication had started to wear off.

I was supposed to have 3 wisdom teeth removed during this appointment. The dentist worked on one molar for over 2 hours. I started to literally crawl in the dentist chair. I could feel the tears run down my cheeks. At one point I could feel the dentist's hand in my mouth trying to support my jaw and with his other hand cranking a wrench on my back molar.

The dentist decided to call it quits for the night. That molar wasn't going anywhere and neither was my agony. Apparently the molars roots were acting as a fish hook around bone in my jaw. So he sewed me up and sent me home only to come back the next morning. I don't think I stopped crying until I got home and got a blessing from my sweetheart and my dad.

So this morning it was time to try this all again. We made sure I had taken the pain medication and got started on the laughing gas. I don't know if it was my nerves or the pain but about 5 minutes before the dentist began the procedure I "got sick". I mean I "got sick" all over that exam room floor, the chair, and me.

They gave me a couple of options after trying to clean up as best we can. We could be done right then and try to go to an oral surgeon instead or we could let the dentist take a look at it only if they promised me if after 20 minutes they couldn't get it that they'd stop trying. Although I begged to go to an oral surgeon instead I was coaxed into letting the dentist try first.

The dentist had a new determination and began moving very quickly. True to his word he finally got the stubborn molar out after 20 minutes. As for the other two upper wisdom teeth, there was no amount of coaxing that would have convinced me to allow them to extract them as well.

For a procedure that normally takes all four wisdom teeth out rather smoothly at once, under the right circumstances, my stubborn body likes to suffer this one at a time. If/when those other two teeth become symptomatic I don't care what the cost is, I will be going to an oral surgeon.

5 comments:

Cameron & Angemarie said...

Oh my gosh! Reading this made my mouth hurt. I've had my share of dental work...but nothing like this. Hope you are feeling better. I know a wonderful Oral Sergon in Bountiful if you need one. He did 3 surgerys on me.

Nat said...

Thanks Ange! I'm floating from pain pill to pain pill at the moment. If I end up needing the other two out I'll be calling you for the name of that oral surgeon.

Melissa said...

my favorite was while i was talking to alvin the next morning, he was all "i aint paying 200.00 extra for anesthesiology!" as i am laughing in my head about "when will he learn that you pay for what you get." :) he is gonna be pissed at me for this post isnt he???? you have the worst..and i mean WORST luck with dentists.

Melissa said...

ps i went to rocky mountain endo and they put me out, and two hour later i was waking up, finished and never bothered to think about it again :)

Nat said...

Yeah Liss - I was T.O.'ed at that fact but we're starving students so I was trying my best to make this work. Even though being done in two hours and not remembering a thing about it would have been completely nice.