Friday, October 3, 2008

Conference Weekend

I remember piling onto my mom and dad's bed at five years old to watch "comp'rense". Mom would go out the day before and buy hoards of candy to use as bribery. When my attention span as well as my parents patience with me had been exhausted they'd send me down stairs to play. The only condition was that a Book of Mormon cartoon had to be playing in the background. I think Barbie and My Little Pony enjoyed the story of the brother of Jared a lot.

I got a little older and we had moved to St. Louis. It was a sad day when my parents had to explain that we couldn't watch conference in our jammies at home and that we'd have to spend Saturday and Sunday out at the small branch in Warrenton. Because most of the members of the branch lived a half hour or longer away from the ward house it was a custom to have a pot luck between the morning and afternoon sessions. This was quickly termed the "Pot Unlucky" - you never knew what to expect.

Now I'm back to pj's and butterfingers! I can see the appeal of televangelists. That's pretty self revealing - what a lazy bum huh? Well it will be nice this weekend to not have to move a muscle and not to have to eat a "Pot Unlucky" (also self revealing - what a brat huh?). A happy "comp'rense" weekend to you!


4 comments:

Rosie said...

Man that stinks! no butterfingers or snickers for me...no jammies. I think we'll attempt to watch it online since we're cheap and don't have cable. Make sure to sing along with the choir! :)

Rosie said...

wait who am i kidding? im ALWAYS in my jammies! :)

Vanessa & Kendall said...

Hey Natalie, so I was reading one of your older posts about how you were craving fall and a fun memory came to me. I remember one time when I spent the night at your house (well your grandparents house in slc). In the morning it was cold and raining so we got some apple cider and lots of blankets and sat on the porch swing. One of my favorite things to do to this day!

Melissa said...

you gave me a cold shudder just now at the thought of being "dragged" to the chapel in warrenton. those were important "learning and growing moments for us as a family" but they sure did suck.