Sunday, November 23, 2008

Attitude of Gratitude!

It is inching closer and closer to Thanksgiving. It’s tradition at a King Family Thanksgiving to go around the table and say what you’re grateful for. Some years it goes rather smoothly and others end inevitably in tears. I’m probably one of the biggest of the teary offenders. As our family is spread out this year I don’t know that we’ll have a chance to do this. That being said, the following could get very long and sappy, just a warning.

First, I’m grateful for my sweetheart. I am so proud of his accomplishments this year. He has really pushed the pedal to the metal with his education, with many semesters taking over 18 credits and still pulling 4.0’s! I’m thankful for his dedication. I’m also grateful for his patience with this King girl. Marrying a King woman keeps one on his toes; it’s a daily game of, “what’s in that head of hers?” and “how was I supposed to know that?” He is my best friend, therapist, gopher, cheerleader, and tutor!

Second, I’m grateful for family. On the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula’s dad Gus says, “You know, the root of the word Miller is a Greek word. Miller come from the Greek word "milo," which is mean "apple," so there you go. As many of you know, our name, Portokalos, is come from the Greek word "portokali," which mean "orange." So, okay? Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.” We’re all different, we’re all crazy, and we’re family. The love and support that I have from both the King’s and the Rodger’s is irreplaceable!

Third, I’m grateful to my Heavenly Father. There is a scripture in John 16: 12 that says, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” It goes back to patience, a virtue that I am depleted of. Alvin and I are at the mercy of the 11 Physical Therapy schools we’ve applied to. Heavenly Father has a plan for us but waiting for it is molasses fast. Another King girl characteristic is not living in the day you’re in. I worry and stress over what could happen May 2009. In praying to know what could happen, I’m grateful for the noted scripture above. I’m eternally grateful that it is His plan, on His timeline, and to know of His hand in our lives.

Lastly, there are some honorable mentions: the opportunity I have to get an education, a generous employer of whom I love working for, friends that see me through, and good health. On a more materialistic note: hot showers, four wheel drive, Butterfinger’s, and internet. (lol) I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving this year!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

what? no mention of your killer awesome big sister? -i'm the coolest one too! happy thanksgiving! i love you! i hope you have a great week, don't sorry about so much stuff that is out of your hands in the moment! enjoy life as it comes at you! just be greatful for the chocolate donut that comes your way in the afternoon of a sunny day.

The Crandall Family said...

hey, the painting of Christ was done by Minerva Teichert. Utah historical artist. We had fun saturday thanks for coming over!! Even if we are a little loud when yelling at the TV :)

tamrandfamily said...

Well said Natalie; very inspiring! You are an amazing person. No worries, you have both worked very hard and you will be blessed!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

matt and sarah said...

Well you've managed to make me cry again. What is that? I am just a big ole sap whether it's about my family or someone else's. You know you really should become a writer!