Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On the Road Again

My brother and his cute fiancĂ© are moving to Denver. Bill is starting the industrial design program at The Metropolitan State College. The timing worked out just perfectly so that Alvin was done with his finals and could help them move. They (my Dad, Alvin, Bill, & Brooke) took off Monday afternoon toward the mile high city. The last time Alvin and I were apart was August 2006 when I flew down to Utah for Kristen and Court’s wedding. It’s weird sleeping by myself at night but I’m glad Alvin’s young muscles are available for rent.
Last night my Mom, Lissa, and I had a chance to go to the Temple. Before going into do initiatory we grabbed a bite to eat in the cafeteria. Lissa said something funny that got me thinking, “I’m a little bit jealous of Alvin. He gets to experience a little of what we did growing up, going with Dad on a road trip.” I hadn’t thought of it that way but it’s true.
Alvin gets to experience the quintessential ‘Bill King’. Now Alvin and my Dad are almost carbon copies already, but my sweetheart has probably never seen his father-in-law this light. Bill King behind the wheel on long road trip is like putting a cowboy back on his horse. I don’t know of anyone who can fill up with gas, go in to pay, and return with enough treats to double the amount paid for fuel. Dad is in his natural habitat going 85 MPH with a Twinkie in hand, a Pepsi in the drink holder, and Iron Butterfly blaring.
Road trips with Dad aren’t without their perks. It’s almost a guarantee that you’ll stay somewhere nice and dine out somewhere nicer. For example, this week Alvin and my dad are bunking at the Crown Plaza and have already visited Pappadeaux’s. Life’s rough huh? The only down side is that after dinner each night you return to the hotel and have to watch the gospel according to Fox News until bed.
Experiencing the above was common about six or more times a year for me growing up. Now Alvin gets to see it all first hand. Maybe I should have mentioned that the swimming pool is a great escape from Bill O’Reilly, na!

5 comments:

matt and sarah said...

You're dad sounds like my kind of guy. Mmmmm twinkies! Hope they enjoy themselves and travel safely!

Rosie said...

Awesome! totally hit the nail on the head - especially with the gospel according to Fox news (GROAN!!) That is a pleasant pool there. :) Glad you and Alvin are having a good time without school.

Melissa said...

i hope you are okay by yourself for a few days, i didnt realize that they would be gone clear till friday. your already manly man can do with a little bit of manly bonding. that never hurt nobody :) if there was ever a situation that he could put himself into your shoes it would be this. ahh, absence makes the heart grow fonder. and thanks for the shout out, its always good to know i am being listened to. :) most of what i say at home goes by completely unnoticed.

Melissa said...

i always love reading what you post, youre such a great writer.

Vanessa & Kendall said...

He hasn't experienced a road trip with your dad until he has to ride in the bed of the pickup all the way to Jackson!! haha