Sunday, April 12, 2009

Step 1: School Step 2: Baby

With all this baby talk going on I’ve got to reestablish my determination to finish my education. It’s so important to me to get “the degree” yet so tempting to be a mommy. I just think that if I don’t take the time to get my education now that it won’t happen until I’m 45 and then it could be too late. We know too many women out there that have been left unprepared by the death of a spouse, divorce, or disability. In my family alone, there are three of us without father-in-laws. Don’t get me wrong, I completely honor and respect the role of the mother in the home and cannot wait for that time in Alvin and I’s life. I would just like to be armed for the unexpected as well as what’s in the genes.

I found a talk by Pres. Gordon B Hinckley called “Rise to the Stature of the Divine within You”. He delivered this back in November of 1989, I was four.

“For you who are young and for you who are older, may I rather quickly suggest three endeavors in which all of you can engage. In making these suggestions I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. Please don’t nag yourself with thoughts of failure. Do not set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can do, in the best way you know, and the Lord will accept of your effort.

First, educate your hands and your minds. You belong to a church which espouses education. To you young women may I suggest that you get all the education you can. Train yourselves to make a contribution to the society in which you will live. There is an essence of the divine in the improvement of the mind. “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.” (D&C 93:36.) “Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.” (D&C 130:18.)”

So here goes, summer semester here I come!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

well done sister, dont make yourself guilty about sticking to the plan that you guys had already laid out for yourselves. whats handy is that in our family you have two specific examples of 1. the family who chose not to wait...had kids first then arduously put daddy through his degree...drowning in debt, due to income situation, but happy as little clams. 2. the family who waited to have kids, arduously plowed through both parents degrees and graduate programs. now have child, happy as clams but never see daddy because of successful law practice. so, life never ends up being what you plan on, what matters is that you are happy and content to stick with have you are given :) i am done philosophizing, did you like it? i am still just amazed that alvin is even within the realm of considering this!

Rosie said...

I've always loved that talk by Pres. Hinckley - especially with our background of not having our fathers-in-law.
Bottom line, stick with your education for as long as you can. Stick with your prayers and you'll know when the time is right. You're still super young and doing great. Just enjoy holding Krissy's baby.:)

mandi said...

amen sista. and sistas. the answer for you is the answer only for you. I would love to be able to go to bed at night knowing that there is a "fallback" plan in case Mikeal kicks it in the middle of the night. But- even the educated lose sleep over uncertainty.

tamrandfamily said...

You know I'm the perfect example of not having enough education and then going through the divorce with a dead beat ex...not saying Alvin would EVER do that :) but you are smart to prepare yourself now and get that DEGREE~!! I love Pres Hinckleys words! Where are you going for summer? I'll be doing summer as well~what the heck was I thinking?