Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunshine & Rain

This morning I hesitated before opening the blinds. For the past two weeks, if not the past two months, when I’ve opened our blinds it’s been to snow, sleet, rain, slush, and grey. There was a big sigh of relief when I saw a strange light coming through. It was the sun popping through! I’ve been suffering a lack of vitamin D.

I saw an article on NaturalNews.com written by Mike Adams stating, “As a study from the University of Maine explains, teenage girls are not getting enough vitamin D. As a result, they are at risk for disorders and diseases caused by this nutritional deficiency, including osteoporosis and possibly even cancer and high blood pressure. The cause? Lack of sunlight. Vitamin D is primarily produced by your skin when exposed to sunlight, and with so many people in the United States being brainwashed into thinking that the sun is bad for your health, few people get enough sunshine these days, especially in northern geographic regions.”

I’m considering buying a tanning pass for my mental health. And if you’ve seen Alvin and I lately, our pasty white selves could bare to use some UV’s.

During all this past moisture though I had a funny memory… We were living at 251 Gary Way. I think I was probably 4 or 5 years old. It was a drizzly afternoon and all my siblings were still in school. I found a large cardboard box and turned it into my house. I had drawn on windows and cut out a door. Once the decorations were finished my house and I were ready to face the elements. I carried my creation out to the front yard and sat inside it. I’m not sure where my imagination went from there. I wonder if I simply just sat inside. Anyhow, as the drizzle became more of a down pour my cardboard home began to droop. It wasn’t the sturdy fortress I’d hoped but I was determined to stick it out. I can’t remember how long the soggy box and soggy Nattie lasted. Here’s a picture of a much cooler cardboard box house, now imagine it wet and sagging with the four year old version of me inside… lol.



4 comments:

Melissa said...

thats got to be one of the greatest mental images i have had in a really long time. soggy nattie in her soggy box out side just enjoying her day. Lol :) one would argue , where was mom to come get nattie and tell her to come inside? but i think she was just probably watching from a window giggling, and appreciating natties inventive imagination :)

Rosie said...

I adore your childhood memories. It's like you lived on a separate Nattie planet :) A special place for happy, aimlessly wandering, ramen eating little girls.
Where are all those digital images of the real thing when you need em?
Sooo happy you got some sun.

Rosie said...

Did yours have little presents to match as well? That would have been precious and sad. :)

Nat said...

Mom was probably resting up after teaching early morning seminary. There were only so many days a four year old could watch Mr. Rogers on volume 1. Isn't it funny how different our childhood's were?