Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Spirit!


I work for a company called Horizon Financial. During the last few Christmas's they've selected a local charity to help, organizations like Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Utah Food Bank. This year was a little different. They decided to host an "Angel Tree" for the Head Start program in Salt Lake County.


I think management was a little weary about how well this would be received with everyone so financially strapped right now but the ornaments on our trees began to disappear quickly. The gifts started for these families began to roll in last Friday. It was remarkable to see how generous everyone had been.


On Tuesday my boss Sarah asked me to come help her get all the gifts sorted and organized and then help her take them down to Head Start. What a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit. Each child had a new warm coat, toys, and extra clothes.


I had picked a four year old little girl named Seidi. She needed some new clothes and she wanted a bike. Rosie and I had fun picking out a few little outfits, a pink bike with training wheels, and a play dough set.


Sarah and I had to take two vehicles to get all the items down to Head Start. After arriving there and unloading all the gifts her friend Becall took us to visit some of her students. The first classroom we went in a few little kids were playing, one of which was Seidi. This project took on a whole new meaning after seeing this darling little girl in person. Her long black hair in pig tails, bright brown eyes, and petite little self melted my heart.


I guess Seidi is part of a family of six children. Her mother had lost her job at the beginning of the school year and just barely got another. Her father is no longer in the picture due to drugs. How difficult it must be for Seidi's mother to work and take care of 6 children alone. We heard that when Seidi's mom found out they'd be getting some help for Christmas she burst into tears.


I'm glad to have been a part of this experience this year. It really helped me get into the Christmas spirit. It's my hope that come Christmas morning Seidi and her family will have a really special day. It's my prayer that other families in Seidi's situation will be taken care of as well. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Vanessa & Kendall said...

I work at Head Start, and things like a new coat and play dough mean the world to them and their families!! That's awesome your work picked Head Start, these kids and their families struggle so much and it is greatly appreciated by them and those of us who work with them. I always worry about the kids in my class who don't have coats or warm clothing. Thank you!!!

Melissa said...

oh how sweet! what a cool story! doesnt that put so many things into perspective? you two went all out. a bike? thats killer!

tamrandfamily said...

Well said Natalie~

mandi said...

way to go natters.