Friday, December 11, 2009

Growing up Middle-aged

"You're listening to 97.9 - The Breeze - Cool Jazz"
Sometimes I come across funny memories and I just have to write them down. I had a different kind of adolescence. In an essence I was an "only child" because all of my siblings had moved out and begun families of their own. Being a teen while your parents are crossing middle age and don't have the worry of a big family means you'll watch a lot of Fox News, eat out regularly, and listen to a lot of "relaxing, cool, jazz" on 97.9 The Breeze. (Which is no longer on that station I might add, much to Dad's chagrin.)
There's only so much Enya a teen can take. What I found even more ridiculous was this station's DJ's. They would drop their voices down a few octaves, add a nice nasally tone over the top, and put a huge emphasis on the last syllable of their sentences. Maybe it's odd that I have this analyzed so much but you don't know how much I had to listen to The Breezzzee.
To pass time, amuse myself, and make fun of my parents for liking this station, I used to create pseudo DJ personalities for The Breeze. One of which I had named, Diane Magipinto. Diane was in her mid-forties, single, and very much stuck in 1986. She had big, backcombed, hair, leggings with stir-ups, and mad skills for the perfect "smooth jazz" radio voice. It was so good in fact that it border-lined a voice you'd imagine a 1-900 girl having.
Diane Magipinto segwayed into a new fun game that my mom and I would play. We'd come up with the most ridiculous last names possible for probable married names for me. One of the classics was Natalie Ann King Dillfinder. My mom teased me with that name right up until the day I married Alvin. Thank goodness the man I fell in love with had a solid last name, can't say much for his first name though... just kidding! It's all the more fun to yell, "AALLVVINNN!!"
Good times growing up with Bill and Connie. Love you guys!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

ohh...the good times. you should have mentioned all the times you "turned in early after a hard day" at the hotel whilst on business trips with the old man. and, btw, diane magipinto was real, and that was her real name...now, as for the leggings with stirups , i am not sure. but her voice was smoother than butter... er, a, melted buttah. what about the time you went as Bob Dole, clutching his trademark pencil for halloween. good times...good times.

Nat said...

She is real - oh my gosh... all this time I thought I had made her up. Now doesn't that just prove how much I had to listen to that crappy station.

mandi said...

I was thinking. . "isn't that really her name?" thanks for clearing it up lis!