Sunday, January 3, 2010

Peace for 2010


This morning we attended a sacrament meeting in West Yellowstone. I don't think I've ever gone to church in jeans and snow boots before. Anyhow, the Bishop conducting the meeting was so wonderfully simple and profound. One of the things he mentioned that both my mom and I loved was the difference of "happiness" and "peace".

I don't remember his exact words but he talked about how a parent wishes for their children to have "happiness" but that the word "happiness" can be misleading. Happiness implies a kind of euphoric state. He suggested that perhaps a more appropriate wish would be for "peace". The Lord didn't say, "My happiness I give unto you," it was, "My peace I give unto you".

So as I begin 2010, I will pray for peace for myself, my family, you and your family, and the world around us.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:26–27).

No comments: