Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Memories


Halloween is the greatest! I haven't been able to get into it as much as I would like during the past few years but that doesn't dismiss my love for it. Last night while I was in class I got to remembering the Halloween's of my childhood. (Who can pay attention to a four hour film class?) Being the youngest of six I was pretty much always taken care of in the costume department. The early years I had been a clown, a princess, a gumball machine (that was a stretch). Then getting into my own creative costume making... I was a Bob Dole (pen in the fake hand lol), Scarlett O'Hara, Mulan, etc. I can remember a time when we lived in NSL when we ran out of candy and my Dad started tossing doggy treats in bags. (Ew..) Another was when we lived in St. Louis. I had never heard the concept that you had to "check" your candy before diving in. I had been trick or treating with a friend who for the lack of a better term, lived in a neighborhood of manufactured homes. Checking candy was no new thing to them. Anything that looked suspect got tossed. You should have seen my face as skittles, butterfingers, and reeses got tossed aside. Better safe than sorry I guess but sacrificing the butterfingers was almost a sin! Fast forward to when Alvin and I first started dating. I guess some guys will do anything for the love of a girl. I dressed Alvin up like the chipmunk! The poor kid donned a plus size red turtle neck from Wal Mart with a yellow A on it. I don't think I'll ever get him to dress up again. (I post the pictures of this later lol) He asked me the other day, why do you like it so much? I guess I love being something or someone else just for one day out of the year. I want to hear your Halloween memories! So let's eat, drink, and be scary! Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

oh if you had only known of the seething hatred he has for all things "alvin and the chipmunks" , what a boy will do for the love of a cute girl ;)

Jodi said...

That is amazing that he wore that costume for you- now that's true love.