Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Little of This, A Little of That

I've copied Lissa on her playlist idea. As I started to gather songs though I realized my taste for bands has come directly from being the youngest of 5. Imagine this, a four year old Nattie jumping on Rosie's bed singing all the words to "Haunted When the Minutes Drag" off the 1988 movie, She's Having a Baby. "Haunted by your soul, Haunted by your hair..." Or better yet, a four year old me coming up with the interpretive dance for "Roll the Bones," by Rush. "Why are we here? (shrugging shoulders with hands out in why gesture) Because we're here. (both hands pointing down to the ground) Roll the bones. (Both hands pushing outwards as if pushing something)" LOL. So in tribute to those that have helped develop my taste in music the playlist to the left includes a song that was influenced from each member of my fam. Beginning with Mom, who has enforced the classics - I chose Vivaldi's Summer. Next, Dad - he began my affinity for Led Zepplin which is why I chose The Immigrant Song. Jen gave me my small fraction of love for country, hence Josh Turner's My Man. Rosie's phase of all things dark led to my liking of Beautiful South. They have an interesting way of making disturbing lyrics surprisingly upbeat. Melissa had a period of ska in high school. I've never stopped liking Dance Hall Crashers because of it. Billy's donation list could have been long but I chose Duran Duran - being in our St. Louis condo while the parents were out meant the CD player was blaring with Duran of the Duran's. So thank you for my wide array of music taste.

6 comments:

tamrandfamily said...

what a cute picture Nat~ and it is awesome that your family influenced your taste in music in such a variety of ways. It made me stop and think of the music influences in my life..good post!

Rosie said...

I will never forget both images of "Haunted" and "Roll the bones". What could be cuter than that? Oh and slap a big ol' chiffon bow on your head too. :)
Rock on little Nat!

Rosie said...

actually the image that comes to mind on "haunted" is me and Mand talking in the kitchen at 251 and little Nat wandering in singing with intensity but not to anyone in particular. Mand and I just looked at each other and busted out laughing. I really don't think you even stopped...just kept wandering :)

Melissa said...

um, I think you might have it a little confused. Jen was the one who owned the "she's having a baby" soundtrack, and her boyfriend who got her into "the beautiful south" and it was rosie who was listening to Duran Duran long before billy and I ever saw Duran Duran in St. Louis. and it was Rosies boyfriend Luke who had us all listening to Led Zep and Rush. But I do take some small pleasure in knowing that I was the first one (and possibly only one ) to give a damn about Ska. Im just Callin' a spade a spade. (lol) love you! and dad likes Led Zep, but only on a limited basis.

Rosie said...

ummm, ya sorry about that squishing your memories nat :) but 'fraid Lissa has that right.
Now if you want to add Bob Seiger to the mix then that's all dad! :)

Nat said...

Oh I'm sorry.. I don't remember all the proper ties.. I was four! lol.